Sunday, April 25, 2010

Passing Time

I was told that I like to use parentheses (parentheses are these lines that look like crescent moons that you put on the outside of sentences when you have a thought about a particular word or sentence that was just previously written) on my blog. (Personally, I disagree with that thought). With that little information in mind, I will do my best to limit my uncontrollable urge to parenthesize (yes, i know it's not a word). Anyway, on to the blog.

Lindy and I are currently on vacation in California (you know, the Golden State.) We made it safely, but one flight was anything but comfortable. From Charlotte, NC to Los Angeles, CA, we were not assigned seats next to each other for some reason. I didn't really mind because we have managed to switch seats with people in the past. Unfortunately, our luck ran out on this flight because BOTH our seats were center seats. Honestly, who would switch you seats if they're going to end up in the middle of two strangers? (maybe people with uncontrollable urges to parenthesize everything they type).

It ended up being the most uncomfortable flight. I honestly envied the guy to my right because he was passed out the entire flight. Well, he did wake up for a couple seconds when the flight attendant hit his head with the cart. The woman to my left busted out her 10-year-old-20-pound laptop and clicked away. All I heard for a good hour was "tap tap tap tap tap tap..." As she was tapping along, she would cross her left foot over her right leg and rest it on my thigh. Today, I noticed that my left thigh was starting to itch. She may have given me athletes foot on my thigh. Crazy. I did my best to pass the time. I would doze off on occasion, but not for long. I kept track of the time that has passed by watching Lindy on the aisle across from me. She had a pattern that was easy to pick up.

Approximately ever 30 minutes, she would change what she was eating. So for 30 minutes, she would just be reading her book. 30 minutes after that, she'll open up her bag of Cheetoes and eat that for a bit. (I can always tell when she has moved on to the Cheetoes because you can hear her crunching.) And then 30 minutes after that, she'll move on to Twizzlers and then cycle back to reading. Every time I would wake up from my power nap and see that she has moved on to another snack, I knew about how much time has passed. That was my form of entertainment for 5 hours. Watching Lindy eat.

That's all I have for now. I'll write more about our ACTUAL trip when we're done. Right now, I'm purty tired.

1 comment: